Thursday, January 19, 2017

Bake delicious Muffins with in season Nectarines


Nectarine Muffins served Upside Down

Muffins are such a delicious way to enjoy  the bountiful supply of seasonal stonefruits which are available right now. Nectarines must be the perfect fruit for upside down cakes as the colours transform beautifully into a decorative topping. Be as creative as you wish with how your nectarine slices are arranged.  I just wanted to get these little gems made in a hurry and into the oven, it was a busy day, so I didn't spend that much time on slicing the nectarines for photographic appeal.  The next time I bake them I will be more particular with presentation. They still tasted delicious. Thanks to our friend Paul for this recipe which he told me originally came from Germany. Paul  often calls in for a weekly cup of tea and a chat, and when he has arrived with these muffins I have been so appreciative. So of course I had to make them.

It's been a busy week in retireeland. We are planning a holiday, the Australian Open tennis matches with the young Aussies playing have been terrific to watch, and the Man of the House has been rebuilding the ramp at the back of our house. Conscious of the hot conditions, I have been the water girl as well, very appropriate I think as we are now in the Age of Aquarius, my star sign, and symbolised by the Water Bearer. I'm a little bit interested in star signs, and where people fit into the scheme of things in that regard. To my way of thinking some of my friends, including the Man of the House, are very typical in a lovely way of their Star Sign's personality traits. And when you can remember your friend's star signs, it can also act as a trigger to remembering their birthdays, which is very important.  How about you my friends, do you know your Friend's star signs, and do you sometimes think that they display characteristics typical of their star sign? Anyway, time to carry some more cold water out to my man who is doing a great job on the new ramp, and loves  a project.

Ingredients:

3 or 4 nectarines cut into slices
2 eggs
2 cups S.R. flour
3/4 cup of plain yoghurt
3/4 cup of white sugar
1 teaspoon of mixed spice
1/4 cup of sunflower type oil
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Butter
Brown sugar

Makes 12.

Let's cook:

Prepare the 2x6 hole muffin trays.

Place a dob of butter (1 tsp.) into each muffin hole, and place into the oven to melt when you turn it on to preheat. Remove the trays from the oven and add one teaspoon of brown sugar to each muffin hole on top of the melted butter.

Place the nectarine segments upside down in the muffin holes (pretty side up and flesh on the bottom.) Combine wet ingredients in a medium bowl i.e. beaten eggs, yoghurt, oil, and vanilla essence.
  • Sift S.R. flour with mixed spice, and combine with sugar, in a mixing bowl.
  • Gently mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients to form a batter. 
  • Spoon a tablespoon of the batter into each muffin hole over the fruit. Top up each muffin batter if there is some left in the bowl.
Bake for 15 minutes at 200 deg. C.

Enjoy with some fresh yoghurt and a nice cuppa.

Warmest wishes

Pauline

No comments:

Post a Comment

(c)2014-2024 Copyright on articles and photographs by Hope Pauline McNee.
Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note - I love hearing from you.
If you would like to receive follow up comments, simply click the "Notify me" link to the right of the "Publish" and "preview" buttons.
Comments containing personal or commercial links will not be published.