Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Easy and Healthy Chicken Pilau



I am always looking for healthy one pot  recipes, incorporating lots of vegetables, a reasonable amount of protein and of course brimming with flavour.  This recipe was sent to me today by a Mindfood post and I was excited as I was committed elsewhere for the afternoon, was looking for a relatively easy dinner to cook,  and needed to use up some vegetables. I also had a can of soup in the pantry. I think this could be one of those recipes which can easily be modified according to what you have on hand. Also, an interesting and adaptable recipe to keep in mind when travelling or camping.


I added fresh tarragon and thyme to mine for a burst of flavour as I have it growing in abundance at home but any herbs on hand could be added, or not if you don't have them. I also think that white wine could be  partly substituted for the cup of water for more interest. However, Mr. HRK really enjoyed it,  he loves tarragon, and it complied with our health regime, for today anyway.

I also think this would work to take for lunch and eat cold.

Preparation time: 15 mins    Cooking time: 25 mins
Serves 6

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 tablespoons mild Indian Curry paste
1 skinless chicken breast fillet or equivalent thigh fillets, cut into 1 cm dice
1 cup Basmati rice
1 cup water (or 1/2 cup white wine, 1/2 cup water)
1x500g can creamy chicken soup ( or creamy celery soup)
800g mixed diced vegetables such as capsicum, carrot, zucchini, celery etc.
1 cup peas (or 1/2 cup peas and 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms)
3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon (optional)
3 sprigs of fresh thyme (optional)

 Method:
  1. Heat oil in a large non-stick saucepan. Add curry paste and chicken fillet. Cook for 2 minutes until beginning to brown.
  2. Add rice and toss to coat. Add water, bring to the boil, stir then cover and cook over a very low heat for 6 minutes. Be careful here, and keep an eye on it so that it doesn't stick to pan.
  3. Stir in creamy chicken soup or celery soup and vegetables and cook a further 8 minutes.
  4. Remove from the heat, stir in peas and mushrooms, recover and stand for 5 minutes.







No comments:

Post a Comment

(c)2014-2024 Copyright on articles and photographs by Hope Pauline McNee.
Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note - I love hearing from you.
If you would like to receive follow up comments, simply click the "Notify me" link to the right of the "Publish" and "preview" buttons.
Comments containing personal or commercial links will not be published.