Saturday, March 1, 2014

Cattleya Bowringiana




In my kitchen today I have my beautiful Cattleya Bowringiana Orchid, a consistently autumnal flowering orchid. It tried so hard to open for my birthday on 19th February, had it been sunnier it may have, however it was a beautiful surprise on the 20th. This orchid has been flowering since 2002, has been repotted a couple of times, and valiantly survived a move from Rockhampton to Mackay, North Queensland. This species is named after an English orchid grower who lived in the late 1800s.

I visited my friend Felicity this morning, and could tell her that her beautiful flowering orchid on the verandah is also a C. Bowringiana. However, I am by no means an expert. I inherited all of my orchids from my Mum, Hope,  five years ago and since then have added to them gradually and learned a lot. I have just been reading that it is one of the easiest orchids to grow, fantastic for the beginner, however can exceed all expectations if in the hands of an expert grower. Possibly I sit somewhere in between.

A flowering orchid makes for such a happy kitchen.




No comments:

Post a Comment

(c)2014-2024 Copyright on articles and photographs by Hope Pauline McNee.
Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note - I love hearing from you.
If you would like to receive follow up comments, simply click the "Notify me" link to the right of the "Publish" and "preview" buttons.
Comments containing personal or commercial links will not be published.